We all have that piece of furniture that has been with us forever. Either we inherited it from a loved one or it has sentimental value, but we keep it around because we love it (or because we can’t afford to buy new).
It’s a challenge to clean them since they have been around a long time. Here are a few tips on how to get your furniture sparkling like new:
- Vacuum your furniture at least once a month. This will extend the life of your furniture and will make it stay cleaner longer.
- See if there are cleaning instructions on the tag. This will tell you how best to clean the piece. Follow the instructions just as you would with a piece of clothing. If you can’t find the code or a tag, then research the fabric online or call a professional who deals with upholstery. They should be able to give you tips on how to best clean it.
- After years of use, your furniture may not smell so fresh. You may want to freshen it up with an odor neutralizing spray or using a DIY concoction of fabric softener and water. You can also sprinkle baking soda and vacuum off.
- If your piece of furniture is still looking dingy, you may want to call in a professional. Call a carpet cleaning company that also offers upholstery cleaning. You would be surprised how the piece may look after the touch of a professional. Once they get it clean for you, just maintain with spot cleaning and vacuuming.
- Remember to always test your furniture on an inconspicuous area to make sure there will be no damages to color or fabric.
What do you do if you can’t get that stubborn spot off or your furniture is showing wear and tear? Cover it! There are many slipcovers for every type of furniture. They have it for dining room chairs, recliners, sofas and more. Some of these can give your old furniture a face lift and change the look of your room.